Iznajar´s parish church dedicated to Apostle Santiago is located in the highest part of the village, inside the La Villa medieval enclosure. The inicial purpose was to build a church in very big proportions, but it was never finished. The construction took place between 1547 and 1638, by Hernan Ruiz el Jóven. A large restauration, both outside and inside was made during 2005 untill 2008, which brought out the inside intervention; revealing under the layers that the walls of the temple were painted with lime, and stone. Behind the whitewash appeard frescos from the XVIIth century, still visible on the laterals, close to the altar.
The church had structure issues since the begining. In the early XVIIIth, a flying buttress was lifted on the street to hold the corner of the cross opposite the tower. Down the cross wall, on the epistle side, there is a tank down the arches structure. During some time, the water was collected in this same church, untill 1595, when it was adapted for street use only.
The temple was conceived as just one shed, with a semicircular apse and a crossed space. There is a 1 meter 40 high presbytery. The church prolongation was made of masonry walls with brick course. The apse is covered with a semidome with panels, following the Siloe school repetitive type. The Baroque major altarpiece was built between 1749 and 1760 by Cecilio Antonio Franco Roldán, and goldened in 1789 by Juan Ramírez de Zúñiga, an artist from Lucena.
On the outside, the church has a noble aspect, with carved stones. The bell tower is a simple big stone prism, weakened in its structure by errosion. In the inside, it has a particular structure, due to the inclination of the floor next to the temple: the tower´s base is lower than the church´s level, in wich there is a kind of domed cellar, on top of which stands the sacristy, and higher is another space with a segment vault. A spiral staircase leads up the tower.